Sunday, January 25, 2009

Carnival on Modern Liberty: An Introduction to a Series

When I got tagged by Tom Griffin to take part in the Carnival on Modern Liberty I wondered just which of the areas I have an interest in on the subject I should take up the challenge to write about. I couldn’t really select just one so throughout the week I will attempt to look at one per day.

What I’m going to do is take you to the edge of the envelope to the point where liberty comes up against the point where people start to edge away. People claim to be liberal and uphold Liberty but we all have our breaking points when we say have we gone too far.

First let’s look at the full dictionary definition of liberty.

n., pl. -ties.
  • 1. a) The condition of being free from restriction or control.
  • b) The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of
    one's own choosing.
  • c) The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement,
    servitude, or forced labour.
  • 2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control.
  • 3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or
    interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights.
  • 4. a) A breach or overstepping of propriety or social convention. Often used
    in the plural.
  • b) A statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or
    actualities: a historical novel that takes liberties with chronology.
  • c) An unwarranted risk; a chance: took foolish liberties on the ski
    slopes.
  • 5. A period, usually short, during which a sailor is authorized to go
    ashore.



There is quite a lot in there to enable me to take a look at where liberty comes right up against the taboos in society. Indeed as I hope to show you over the next few days there are indeed a number of contradictions within liberty and how we define it.


So roll up, roll up and hope you enjoy the ride as I take you to places you may not have been before, asking questions you may not have considered. The views that I will express in this series are not necessarily all my own. I’m merely looking at where the envelope of liberty does take us in our modern world.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails